Monday, February 22, 2010

Cake Decorating Classes

I have been a baker for as long as I can remember, always helping my mom in the kitchen when I was younger to finding new fun recipes to try. I love baking all kinds of things from cakes, cookies, pastries and of course cupcakes. Over the past few years I have been concentrating more on cupcakes. I had always wanted to take cake decorating classes but never had the time to do it. Finally our schedules made it possible, that and the instructor at our closest Michael's moved her courses to a day I could attend. I took the Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1 and 2 before the instructor moved to California. So no more classes until they hire a new instructor.
Course 1 taught basics and flowers such as the Wilton Rose

Here is my final cake from course 1. Since I took the class in December our instructor allowed us to do a holiday themed cake
I had made a red velvet cake ( from a box mix I don't suggest that the cake itself was nasty tasting) and a cream cheese buttercream frosting. This was more for decorating purposes than for taste.

There are TONS of classes available all over and I highly recommend taking one. So much fun and even someone who has never decorated before can look like a pro in no time at all
To find classes you can look at your local Michaels or JoAnns. Usually the bigger stores offer more classes. You can also look online at
 Cake Decorating Classes where you can find a wide varitey of things all about cake and cupcake decorating from local classes to books to online courses and even find other cake enthusiasts.
So get out there and start decorating cakes its so much fun and so tasty too!!!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, great job! I've been wanting to take a cake decorating class for awhile now. I have zero decorating skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter at all. They teach you basics and honestly by the end of the first course you will impress all your friends with your new skills. So worth taking the classes!

    ReplyDelete